May 23, 2012

The House of Mirth: Book Jacket


Since she had read The Age of Innocence, I have been wanting to get my sister a copy of The House of Mirth.
And since I was to make a gift of it, I wanted to find her the best edition available: one with not only an attractive cover, but crisp, sharp text that's easy on the eyes.
I found one that had the latter, but wasn't too happy with the cover.
So over the weekend, I designed and printed a book jacket.

The House of Mirth is written in the style of a novel of manners and in the first few chapters, several names pop-up in conversations and events. This makes it hard for the first time reader to keep track of characters names, their backgrounds and their relationship to each other. To solve this issue, I placed brief characters' profiles on the book jacket's inner flaps for instant access and easy reference.